Here is a list of the home maintenance items that you should mark off your checklist every year.
1. Doors- Adjust exterior door thresholds so no light is visible below. Lubricate sliding doors and apply paraffin to sliding tracks as needed. Oil moving parts of your garage door with some sort of spray lubricant.
2. Electric - Test and reset GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets. Check caulking around exterior lights and electrical outlets.
3. Exterior - Check for cracks in exterior caulking and reapply caulk as needed. Check exterior paint for potential issues.
4. Plumbing - Perform water heater residue removal procedures as recommended by manufacturer.
5. Basement - Check basement and foundation for moisture. Be sure exterior splash blocks are still draining away from the foundation. Make sure that mulch and dirt levels are sloping away from the foundation.
6. Windows - Check for cracks in caulking and reapply as needed. Lubricate and clean window tracks. Inspect screens for damage and repair or replace as needed.
7. Washing Machine - Check hose for any damage and replace as needed
8. Refrigerator - Clean coils
9. Faucets - Clean aerators as needed. If you have hard water buildup on shower heads, you can remove those and soak them in a combination of water and vinegar to restore water flow.